Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lost Episode: Hayward, WI in October

Doing some catch-up blogging tonight.

I would have done this post earlier (like a month ago) but . . . I didn't.  I've been a little pressed for time lately.

So in early October we headed over to Hayward for the day!

There were a lot of people there to see Grandma and Grandpa Daisy!

It was nearly Grandma's birthday so we brought her a present.  Svea supervised the present-opening :)

Then, because it was cold and dreary, we decided to play some really old, really weird board games.

Ever heard of "The Game of Star Reporter"?  It was first made in 1937, but we had the 1952 version, so all things considered, really this game was quite modern.  You travel around the fictional land of Urbania, tracking down events that vary from run-of-the-mill news to disasters and catastrophes, getting points for each story you report.  The game pieces are pins that you stick in the board.  Now there's a safe option for children.

 After reading the long, redundant, and sometimes hilariously confusing directions, we began the game.

I can't remember who won, but it wasn't Maren.  She might have won, but I forgot to share key information about how the reporters can travel, so she was stuck in one spot for a long time, and . . . and she lost.  Whoops.  Sorry, sister.

Then we played "The Sinking of the Titanic", which is super fun but admittedly very weird.  While the Titanic sinks, you move around the ship, gathering passengers, water, and food.  Eventually you have to get into lifeboats.

 After you're in the ocean, you float around in your boat collecting passengers, water, and food.  You might also visit islands where bananas and coconuts (or cannibals) await you.  Once the rescue ship appears, the first lifeboat to get there is the winner.

I guess everybody else dies.

 This game is, according to my research, quite a rare find.  Made in 1975 by Ideal, there was an outcry from England that putting a game out about the tragic demise of the Titanic was insensitive and uncalled for.  (Can you believe that?!)

The game was quickly pulled from the shelves and renamed "Abandon Ship." 

 I won, but only because I forget to share some details about lifeboat usage and Maren lost (again).
 
Sorry, Maren. 

I don't do this stuff on purpose.  It just happens.  Plus, my throat was sore from reading all the directions from "Star Reporter" so I may or may not have skimmed over the "Titanic" rules.

Outside, exciting things were happening.

Uncle Bo brought BB guns.  Fun!

 Dad, Linnea and I took a walk down the driveway and found a birch branch I was hoping for.

 It was cold.  Linnea was prepared; I was not.  Brrr!

 Just the right size!  Thanks Dad!
I plan on using it for some decor, because no, we didn't drive all the way to Wisconsin for pretty firewood.

 More shooting.  I'm not sure who was having more fun, Viggo or Kevin!

We drove past the Cranberry farm on our way out.  They were in the middle of harvesting.

It was a great day!  We got home late, but it was worth the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment